Tuesday, March 14, 2006

Abee wanna knock a proper gaff?

We call this Blog Site the "Guyana Gaff" because to have a proper gaff in Guyana is to have a friendly chat. So "abee wanna ta knock a proper gaff?

Monday--

Oh me momma! Today we thought we were going to look at some possible housing options but that will not materialize until Thursday so just after breakfast, Ken, the male part of the Guest House Managers team hurries off after breakfast only to come back after 10 minutes to casually ask me if I might know much about septic tanks. I thought to myself, "What is there to know about septic tanks in Guyana?" I won't go into more details here but you can ask for a scientific explanation or recipe if you so desire!

So guess what 2 missionaries and 1 national did this morning--clean out an overflowing septic tank by using a bucket attached to a rope to empty a full rectangular concrete tank that was 5' x 10' x 8' deep. Afterwards I showered with anti-bacterial soap twice--just to make sure! I am truly glad that I could be here to help them. T'was a nasty job but the female counterpart of the Guest House Team will reward us tonight with hamburgers and ice cream as a special treat.

On the mission field or at your house one never know what adventure lurks around the next bend.

How was your Sunday? We traveled about 45 minutes in order to attend a 2 hour service. Getting there included crossing a 1/2 mile floating bridge over the Demerara River. Years ago a part of the bridge litterally floated away but they got tht fixed. :) We both had the opportunity to share testimonies and Terri shared a song of praise as well. Terri
had a chance to share with a m lady about forgiveness.

Tomorrow I shall begin motorcycle shopping. Vrroom, Vroom? No, really more like putt, putt but it should be interesting.

Speaking of interesting--I have 101 mosquito bites on my legs now! Little terrorists. Really though I am trying to rough it without mosquito repellant to build up my immunity to them. It does work here--that's how the nationals can handle it.

Abee gon nah. (I'll be going now.)

No comments: